Home security is very important given that most of us our busy with tight schedules, and barely has time to be at homes and look after our belonging on our own. Gone are the days when traditional watchmen were hired to watch out for entire neighborhoods. With minimum wages going up and gun laws getting more strict by the day, it is quite difficult to hire security services to watch out for our homes.
However, the modern tech has introduced smarter ways to secure homes against thefts and trespassing. We have curated a list of top home security tips which will help you monitor your home better and secure it against possible thefts and burglaries.
- Install Smart Security Systems: Smart security systems are a series of security devices integrated with your smartphone allowing you to monitor your home constantly even while you are away and giving you complete control of who can get access to your home. Smart security systems can include close circuit monitoring cameras, video door bell, keyless door entry system as well as smart motion detectors all of them integrated with your smartphone and having a voice command enabled. With a simple command from your phone, you can control the security systems of your home. The smart security system also sends instant notifications of any suspicious activity recorded around your property and alert you whether you are at home or away from home.
- Fix Motion Detection Sensor on Home Openings: Motion detectors are a great way to detect any uncalled for activity around your home. Install several motion detection sensors on your windows, doors and any other opening which can give access to strangers. One down side of the motion detectors is that they can go off even if some stray animal comes wandering around your property.
- Clear out the Area Near Your Home Entrance: Make sure the area around your home entrance is well lit and has no bushes or shrubs where thieves could hide. The better plan is to install proper lighting and keep any plantation away from the main entrance of your home. This not only gives you a clearer view of the outside but also keep the thieves wary of being seen in case they try to break in to your home. Also make sure that there are no ladders or stools lying about your front yard, which the thieves can use to climb to the upper story windows.
- Invest in Good Quality Doors: Over 37% of burglars get access to the houses directly through the front door. It is very important to have a sturdy front door installed on your property. Doors with strong hinges and a sturdy frame are best to install. Sliding door screens are also a great choice and getting increasingly popular for home security. You can add more reinforcement by installing deadbolts, smart locks and adding a strike plate to your front door.
- Smart Home Automation: Smart home automation is another way to add security to your home. It allows you to schedule switching the lights on your property on and off while you are away for a business trip or on a vacation. Smart Home Automation gives you complete control of the home security systems, fire alarms, motion sensors and other safety devices.